Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage is an essential but often overlooked component of auto insurance policies. UM insurance provides coverage for policyholders in the unfortunate event that they are involved in an accident with a driver who has no insurance to cover the costs of damages and injuries. UM insurance offers several significant benefits that can provide peace of mind and financial protection.
OK, GREAT, SO WHY DO I NEED IT?
- First and Foremost: It is the law in South Carolina that you carry UM insurance. All drivers are required to carry uninsured motorist coverage for personal injuries and related damages of $25,000 per person, or $50,000 for all people, per accident. In addition, all drivers must also carry coverage for car and property damage of $25,000 – these are the minimum levels required.
- Protection Against Uninsured Drivers: One of the primary benefits of UM insurance is the protection it offers against uninsured drivers. Even though auto insurance is mandatory in most states, there are still many drivers on the road who ignore this legal requirement. If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured motorist, UM insurance can cover your medical expenses and repair costs that the at-fault driver would typically be responsible for.
- Coverage for Hit-and-Run Accidents: When an at fault driver flees the scene of an accident, there may be no one to hold accountable. UM insurance can step in to cover your medical bills, vehicle repairs, and other related expenses in the absence of the responsible party.
- Protection for Passengers: UM insurance can also cover your passengers if they are injured in an accident caused by an uninsured driver. This means that not only are you protected, but your loved ones are as well.
- Minimal Cost: Considering the financial hardships that can result from accidents with uninsured drivers, the small cost of UM insurance is well worth the investment. You may even want to consider increasing your coverage beyond the minimum requirements.
In conclusion, UM insurance offers essential protection against uninsured drivers, hit-and-run accidents, and the financial burden that can result from such situations. Auto accidents can be expensive and stressful, having an attorney can provide peace of mind and help you get the most return from insurance companies. Contact the Stanley Law Firm at 843-390-9111 to help get the best settlement.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What should I do if I’m hit by someone who has no insurance?
The issues you face after an auto accident are not as simple as some would have you believe. From medical bills, and how they get paid, to how much you should be compensated for injuries and auto damage. This is especially the case with an uninsured motorist, it is always better to consult an experienced attorney than to try and figure everything out on your own.
How do I know if I have Uninsured Coverage?
Since it is a law in the state of South Carolina, as long as you are carrying basic liability insurance (the minimum requirement), then you also carry uninsured motorists coverage equal to the minimum amounts of liability coverage (25/50/25).
Can I stack my uninsured motorist coverage?
Under certain circumstances, South Carolina allows car accident victims to stack, or combine, UM coverage limits within a single car insurance policy as well as across multiple insurance policies. Stacking means that you can use more than one policy to cover bodily damages after an accident.